August 20, 2011

Butterflies



 "52 Butterflies" by Sara Marie Allen
 
52 butterflies
flitting in the wind, 
soaking in the sun, 
drinking it all in.
Different creatures than they once were,
      they let God work the miracle of change.
Once bound to the ground,
He wrapped them in His loving arms—
      to help the hurt,
      to keep them warm
      to make them safe.
And when He was ready,
He let them go
      to soar to the heavens
In praise.

One of my son's favorite books is The Very Hungry Caterpillar.  He is amazed at the transformation between the "fat" caterpillar and the beautiful butterfly that emerges from the cocoon.  So am I.

But I'm also amazed at how we all change.  Sure, over the years, skin wrinkles and hair grays--but we also, hopefully, grow wiser, learn from our mistakes, and become more and more like the people God wants us to be.

I wrote this poem for my mom's 52nd birthday a few years back, and in honor of her, I share it with you on her special day.

No comments:

Post a Comment