August 21, 2011

All Things New

I've had this phrase stuck in my head from Revelation 21:5 "And He who sits on the throne said, 'Behold, I am making all things new.'" We all like new things--whether it's a new baby, a new car with its "new car smell", a new sweater at Christmas, or a new piece of technology--I even have friends that flip for their new ipad and iphone apps.  We're also obsessed as a culture with things that are made new--otherwise known as "make-overs"--from a cool, new living room to the dowdy lady on the Today Show that now, amazingly, looks like a model...  But the "new" wears off, and then we're left yearning for the next "new" thing.

I'm writing a novel aptly named New Life.  The main characters of the story are living in a pretty messed up reality, and they're seeking a fresh start--a do-over. But beyond just a do-over, they can be made new.

2 Corinthians spells it out in a clearer way:  "Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come! All this is from God, who reconciled us to himself through Christ and gave us the ministry of reconciliation: that God was reconciling the world to himself in Christ, not counting men's sins against them. And he has committed to us the message of reconciliation." 

My daughter was baptized today, celebrating that she is Christ's new creation.  If you're desiring a fresh start, a do-over, or you like the thought of a spiritual make-over, remember that God can "make all things new".





2 comments:

  1. Yeah, there's "real new" and "fake new." Sometimes we can get these confused, but we know the real will prevail. By the way, I have had the honor of reading preliminary chapters of NEW LIFE. If you are following Sara's blog, stay tuned. Good stuff is coming.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations to Gracie, what a fantastic thing. I wish that I had known she was being baptized at Red Bird - I would have tried to make it out. I was disappointed that she wasn't in Sunday School. Tell her that I am teaching this Sunday and would love to see her. Love to all of you.

    ReplyDelete